"I tossed together this tasty salad for some business friends a few years ago," explains Michelle Smith from Running Springs, California. "The meat has to marinate first, but it's well worth the wait. In fact, after serving this dish I received two proposals for marriage plus one offer to be a live-in cook!"
Recommended: 35 Chinese Takeout Fake-Out Recipes
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 3/4 cup sherry or chicken broth
- 1/3 cup soy sauce
- 1 small onion, sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1-1/2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1-1/2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 pound boneless beef top round steak, cut into 2-inch strips
- 3/4 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 4 teaspoons vegetable oil, divided
- 3 medium carrots, julienned
- 1 cup fresh broccoli florets
- 1 medium green pepper, julienned
- 1 medium onion, thinly sliced
- 1 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1/2 cup minced fresh cilantro
- 12 cups torn mixed salad greens
- 3 medium navel oranges, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- In a bowl, combine the first seven ingredients. Pour 2/3 cup marinade into a large resealable plastic bag; add beef. Pour 1/3 cup marinade into another plastic bag; add chicken. Seal bags and turn to coat; refrigerate for up to 2 hours. Cover and refrigerate remaining marinade.
- Drain and discard marinade from beef and chicken. In a large skillet or wok, heat 1-1/2 teaspoons oil; stir-fry beef until no longer pink. Remove and keep warm. In the same pan, stir-fry chicken in 1-1/2 teaspoons oil until juices run clear. Remove and keep warm. Stir-fry carrots and broccoli in remaining oil for 5 minutes. Add the green pepper, onion and mushrooms; stir-fry for 5-6 minutes or until vegetables are crisp-tender. Stir in cilantro and reserved marinade.
- Toss salad greens and oranges; place on a large serving plate. Top with the stir-fried beef, chicken and vegetables. Yield: 6-8 servings.
Originally published as Hearty Stir-Fry Salad in Country Woman March/April 2005, p41