Hearty Steak Soup
My husband and I live in a small farming community and we've been married for more than 40 years, so I've been cooking for a long time. Our granddaughters love to come and help me cook—especially when the result is this soup. We like it with toasted French bread and a crisp salad for a complete meal.—Waldeane Logan, Butler, Missouri
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Cook: 30 min.
Makes8-10 servings (4 quarts)
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 6 cups water
- 2 pounds ground round steak or ground beef, cooked and drained
- 1 can (28 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 package (16 ounces) frozen mixed vegetables, thawed
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1 tablespoon seasoned salt
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons browning sauce, optional
- In a large saucepan, melt butter. Stir in flour until smooth. Add water. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened.
- Add the beef, tomatoes, mixed vegetables, onion, celery, seasonings and browning sauce if desired. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 20-30 minutes or until the vegetables are tender.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 157 calories, 8g fat (4g saturated fat), 37mg cholesterol, 593mg sodium, 13g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 3g fiber), 10g protein.
Originally published as Hearty Steak Soup in Country Ground Beef
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.