Hearty Spaghetti Sauce
I received this recipe from my sister-in-law and use it all the time. The addition of pepperoni and cinnamon makes it extra special. My family says it's the best spaghetti sauce ever! —Wendy Prevost, Cody, Wyoming
Total TimePrep: 10 min. Cook: 2 hours 5 min.
- 1-1/2 pounds ground beef
- 1-1/2 pounds bulk Italian sausage
- 3 cans (28 ounces each) stewed tomatoes
- 3 cans (6 ounces each) tomato paste
- 1 can (15 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1/2 pound fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 2 large onion, chopped
- 3 medium carrots, finely chopped
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- 1 cup water
- 2 packages (3 ounces each) sliced pepperoni, diced
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon, optional
- In a Dutch oven, cook beef and sausage over medium heat until no longer pink; drain. Stir in the remaining ingredients. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 2-3 hours or until sauce reaches desired consistency, stirring occasionally.
- Discard bay leaves. Serve immediately. Or cool and pour into jars; cover and refrigerate.
Nutrition Facts3/4 cup: 139 calories, 8g fat (3g saturated fat), 27mg cholesterol, 447mg sodium, 9g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 2g fiber), 10g protein.
Originally published as Hearty Spaghetti Sauce in Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook 2002
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.