When it’s time to build my zesty chili, I combine everything the night before. In the morning, I load the slow cooker and let it do the work. —Molly Butt, Granville, Ohio
Featured In: Our Favorite Slow Cooker Beef Recipes
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- 1 large green pepper, chopped
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 pounds lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) stewed tomatoes, undrained
- 2 cans (8 ounces each) tomato sauce
- 2 cans (4 ounces each) chopped green chilies
- 1/2 cup minced fresh parsley
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1-1/4 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- Hot cooked rice or pasta
- Optional toppings: shredded cheddar cheese, sour cream and sliced green onions
- In a large skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add green pepper, onion and garlic; cook and stir 3-4 minutes or until tender. Transfer to a 6-qt. slow cooker.
- Working in batches if necessary, cook beef in the same skillet over medium-high heat for 8-10 minutes or until no longer pink, breaking meat into crumbles. Using a slotted spoon, transfer to slow cooker.
Stir tomatoes, tomato sauce, chilies, parsley and seasonings into beef mixture. Cook, covered, on low 6-8 hours to allow flavors to blend. Serve with rice and toppings as desired.
Freeze option: Freeze cooled chili in freezer containers. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Heat through in a saucepan, stirring occasionally and adding a little water or broth if necessary. Yield: 10 servings (2-3/4 quarts).
Originally published as Hearty Slow Cooker Chili in TasteofHome.com 2017
Reviews forHearty Slow Cooker Chili
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Jan. 28, 2018
"ok but there is only two of us so how do I break this down.. Please let me know, [email protected]"