Hearty Skillet Stew
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 35 min.
- 1/2 pound beef top round steak, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1/3 cup chopped onion
- 2 cups chopped cabbage
- 2 medium carrots, chopped
- 1 medium potato, cut into 1/2-inch chunks
- 3/4 cup water
- 1/3 cup reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 2 to 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon cold water
- In a large nonstick skillet coated with cooking spray, brown steak with onion. Stir in the cabbage, carrots, potato, water, soy sauce and sugar; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 25 minutes or until meat is tender.
- In a small bowl, combine cornstarch and cold water until smooth; stir into beef mixture. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 1-2 minutes or until thickened.
Nutrition Facts1-1/2 cups: 371 calories, 4g fat (1g saturated fat), 64mg cholesterol, 1689mg sodium, 51g carbohydrate (21g sugars, 6g fiber), 32g protein.
Dec 15, 2011
I used hamburger, added mushrooms, and used only 1 Tblsp sugar. one kid liked it, one kid didn't. I liked it, nice change from tomato based stews.
Nov 27, 2009
The only think I did different was to put the cabbage in towards the end of the cooking so that it wouldn't get too soft. We prefer our cabbage with a little bit left to it. It was surprising how incredible it was. Addition of pepper helps too, otherwise its quite sweet.