Hearty Shrimp Risotto Recipe
- 4 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup uncooked arborio rice
- 1 fresh thyme sprig
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 3/4 cup white wine or additional reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 pound uncooked medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 2 cups chopped fresh spinach
- 4 ounces fresh goat cheese, crumbled
- 1. In a small saucepan, heat broth and keep warm. In a large nonstick skillet coated with cooking spray, saute onion in oil until tender. Add the rice, thyme, bay leaf and pepper; cook and stir for 2-3 minutes. Reduce heat; stir in wine. Cook and stir until all of the liquid is absorbed.
- 2. Add heated broth, 1/2 cup at a time, stirring constantly. Allow the liquid to absorb between additions. Cook just until risotto is creamy and rice is almost tender. (Cooking time is about 20 minutes.) Add the shrimp and spinach; cook until shrimp turn pink and spinach is wilted.
- 3. Stir in cheese. Discard thyme and bay leaf. Serve immediately. Yield: 4 servings.
1-1/4 cups: 405 calories, 9g fat (3g saturated fat), 157mg cholesterol, 832mg sodium, 45g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 1g fiber), 28g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 2-1/2 starch, 1 fat.
Reviews for Hearty Shrimp Risotto
"This recipe was good, but could have been great. I would definitely not use all the goat cheese - maybe only 1/3 of what the recipe called for. It seemed to be the dominant flavor (maybe the cheese I bought was a stronger version?). Otherwise very creamy and fresh."
"Fantastic recipe. I make it for friends all the time & everyone loves it! I've made it with Gorgonzola cheese before and that worked too. Love the original recipe the best!"
"This would have been amazing if I used the reduce-sodium broth like recipe said. Talk about disappointment, sitting at the stove, for what felt like an hour, stirring & it tasted like a pound of salt."
"This was absolutely DELIGHTFUL! It was rich and hearty and beautiful. I didn't change a single thing (and that's a miracle for me!)."
"Fairly easy to make - not a ton of flavor, but we like hot sauce, so just a dash of that an WAM! A terrific meal! Changes ~ I used turkey broth I had in the freezer, the rice I had on hand, dried thyme, and cooked salad shrimp. All substitutions worked just fine. I love being able to use ingredients I already have on hand!"
"This recipe is perfect just the way it is!!! My first time making risotto, and it came out perfectly!! The flavors are wonderful and the fresh goat's cheese makes it so creamy! Thanks for another delicious dinner!"
"We really loved this recipe and would make it again. It is really easy to make and would make a great side if you wanted to leave the shrimp out of it."