Hearty Sausage & Sweet Potatoes
Sweet potatoes with sausage and sage make a happy dish. I get a lot of recipe requests when I serve this hearty hash with apples and carrots. —Courtney Stultz, Weir, Kansas
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 25 min.
- 2 large sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch pieces.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 pound bulk pork sausage
- 1 large tart apple, peeled and chopped
- 1 large carrot, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1/2 teaspoon dried sage leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- In a large microwave-safe bowl, combine potatoes, 1 tablespoon oil and salt. Microwave, covered, on high for 6-8 minutes or until tender, stirring every 2 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet, cook sausage over medium heat 6-8 minutes or until no longer pink, breaking into crumbles; remove with a slotted spoon.
- In same skillet, heat remaining oil over medium-low heat. Add apple and carrot; cook, covered, 5-7 minutes or until carrot is just tender, stirring occasionally. Return sausage to pan. Stir in sweet potatoes and seasonings; cook, covered, 10-12 minutes or until carrot is tender.