- 1/2 pound Johnsonville® Ground Mild Italian sausage
- 1/4 pound ground beef
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1/4 cup chopped green pepper
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/3 cup tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1/8 teaspoon dried rosemary, crushed
- 1 loaf (1 pound) Italian bread
- 6 slices part-skim mozzarella cheese
- In a large skillet, cook the sausage, beef, onion, mushrooms and green pepper over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Stir in the water, tomato paste, Parmesan cheese, salt, oregano, garlic and rosemary. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 5 minutes or until thickened.
- Meanwhile, cut top third off loaf of bread; carefully hollow out bottom, leaving a 1/2-in. shell (discard removed bread or save for another use).
- Line bottom half with three mozzarella cheese slices; top with sausage mixture and remaining cheese. Replace bread top. Wrap sandwich loaf in foil.
- Bake at 400° for 15-20 minutes or until cheese is melted. Let stand for 5 minutes before slicing. Yield: 6 servings.
Reviews forHearty Sausage Stromboli
"I thought this was pretty good, but felt it was lacking "something". Next time I think I would use maybe pizza sauce rather than tomato paste. The only thing I did differently was not use mushrooms since my husband doesn't care for them."
"This stuff is awesome!!! It's now a family favorite, and a couple of my friends families too!"
"Very delicious recipe. I chop up the onion, green pepper and mushrooms very small so my son will eat them. As long as he doesn't know they are there, he loves it, too."