Hearty Sausage Loaf
Total TimePrep: 25 min. + rising Bake: 30 min.
- 2 loaves (1 pound each) frozen bread dough, thawed
- 1 pound bulk pork sausage
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/8 teaspoon fennel seed
- 3 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 cups shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1/4 cup grated Romano or Parmesan cheese
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- Allow dough to rise until nearly doubled. Meanwhile, brown sausage with garlic and fennel seed in a skillet. Drain and cool. Add eggs and cheeses; mix well.
- Punch dough down and roll each loaf into a 16-in. x 12-in. rectangle. Place half of the sausage mixture on each rectangle, spreading to within 1 in. of edges. Roll jelly-roll style, starting at the narrow end. Place on a greased baking sheet.
- Bake at 375° for 30-35 minutes. Brush with melted butter while warm.
Nutrition Facts3 each: 160 calories, 9g fat (4g saturated fat), 50mg cholesterol, 308mg sodium, 12g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 1g fiber), 8g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
May 24, 2008
After the bread is filled and rolled, is it suppose to rise again before baking, and if so, how long?
Jan 1, 2008
I HAVE REPEATEDLY FIXED THIS BREAKFAST LOAF FOR THE CREW AT WORK. THEY ASK ME TO MAKE IT OFTEN. IT,S EASY TO CARRY AND SERVE, NO FUSS NO MESS.