Hearty Rice Salad
I enjoy experimenting with new recipes, and this is one of my creations. I like to serve this salad as a luncheon or light supper dish, accompanied by cold asparagus and pumpernickel rolls.
Total TimePrep: 25 min. + chilling Cook: 20 min. + cooling
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 2 cups uncooked long grain rice
- 1 cup diced fully cooked ham
- 5 to 6 green onions, sliced
- 2 medium carrots, shredded
- 1/4 cup minced fresh parsley or 1 tablespoon dried parsley flakes
- 1/2 cup fresh or frozen peas, thawed
- 1 small sweet red pepper, diced
- 1 small green pepper, diced
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh basil or 2 teaspoons dried basil
- 1/2 cup sliced pimiento-stuffed olives
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup diced Swiss or cheddar cheese
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 3 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- In a large saucepan, bring broth, salt and turmeric to a boil; stir in the rice. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 20 minutes. Remove from the heat let stand, covered, for 5 minutes or until liquid is absorbed.
- Transfer to a large bowl; cool to room temperature. Stir in the next 11 ingredients. If desired, cover and refrigerate for up to 24 hours.
- Four hours before serving, combine oil and vinegar; pour over salad and toss well. Serve at room temperature.
Nutrition Facts3/4 cup: 258 calories, 12g fat (3g saturated fat), 16mg cholesterol, 910mg sodium, 30g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 1g fiber), 9g protein.
Originally published as Hearty Rice Salad in Country Extra September 1996