Hearty Rice Salad
I enjoy experimenting with new recipes, and this is one of my creations. I like to serve this salad as a luncheon or light supper dish, accompanied by cold asparagus and pumpernickel rolls.
Total TimePrep: 25 min. + chilling Cook: 20 min. + cooling
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 2 cups uncooked long grain rice
- 1 cup diced fully cooked ham
- 5 to 6 green onions, sliced
- 2 medium carrots, shredded
- 1/4 cup minced fresh parsley or 1 tablespoon dried parsley flakes
- 1/2 cup fresh or frozen peas, thawed
- 1 small sweet red pepper, diced
- 1 small green pepper, diced
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh basil or 2 teaspoons dried basil
- 1/2 cup sliced pimiento-stuffed olives
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup diced Swiss or cheddar cheese
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 3 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- In a large saucepan, bring broth, salt and turmeric to a boil; stir in the rice. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 20 minutes. Remove from the heat let stand, covered, for 5 minutes or until liquid is absorbed.
- Transfer to a large bowl; cool to room temperature. Stir in the next 11 ingredients. If desired, cover and refrigerate for up to 24 hours.
- Four hours before serving, combine oil and vinegar; pour over salad and toss well. Serve at room temperature.
Nutrition Facts3/4 cup: 258 calories, 12g fat (3g saturated fat), 16mg cholesterol, 910mg sodium, 30g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 1g fiber), 9g protein.
Originally published as Hearty Rice Salad in Country Extra September 1996
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.