Hearty Raisin Bread
Although I just recently moved to the country, I love from-scratch cooking, and baking bread is a favorite pastime. This rich bread has a delectable cinnamon flavor and is loaded with raisins.
Total TimePrep: 20 min. + rising Bake: 35 min.
Makes2 loaves (16 slices each)
- 2 packages (1/4 ounce each) active dry yeast
- 1/2 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 1-1/2 cups warm milk (110° to 115°)
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- 1/4 cup honey
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1-1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 2 eggs
- 3 cups whole wheat flour
- 3-1/2 to 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups raisins
- 1 egg white
- 2 tablespoons cold water
- In a bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Add the milk, butter, honey, salt, cinnamon, eggs and whole wheat flour. Beat until smooth. Stir in enough all-purpose flour to form a soft dough. Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 8-10 minutes.
- Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Punch dough down. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; sprinkle with raisins and knead in. Divide in half. Shape into loaves. Place in two greased 9x5-in. loaf pans. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 45 minutes.
- Beat egg white and cold water; brush over dough. Bake at 375° for 35-40 minutes or until golden brown and bread sounds hollow when tapped. Cover loosely with foil if top browns too quickly. Remove from pans to wire racks to cool.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 161 calories, 4g fat (2g saturated fat), 23mg cholesterol, 190mg sodium, 29g carbohydrate (9g sugars, 2g fiber), 4g protein.
Originally published as Hearty Raisin Bread in Best of Country Breads