- 2 packages (1/4 ounce each) active dry yeast
- 1/2 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 1-1/2 cups warm milk (110° to 115°)
- 1/2 cup butter or margarine, melted
- 1/4 cup honey
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1-1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 2 eggs
- 3 cups whole wheat flour
- 3-1/2 to 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups raisins
- 1 egg white
- 2 tablespoons cold water
- In a mixing bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Add the milk, butter, honey, salt, cinnamon, eggs and whole whet flour. Beat until smooth. Stir in enough all-purpose flour to form a soft dough. Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 8-10 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour. Punch dough down. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; sprinkle with raisins and knead in. Divide in half. Shape into loaves. Place in two greased 9-in. x 5-in. loaf pans. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 45 minutes. Beat egg white and cold water; brush over dough. Bake at 375° for 35-40 minutes or until golden brown. Cover loosely with oil if top browns too quickly. Remove from pans to wire racks to cool. Yield: 2 loaves.
Reviews forHearty Raisin Bread
"This was very good, but didn't take as much flour as indicated. Also, next time I will try it with half the raisins - 2 cups was too much"