Hearty Poultry Stuffing
This was my mother's recipe and is now a tradition at my house, too. My mother-in-law even preferred it to her own stuffing!
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 45 min.
- 1/2 pound ground beef
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 11 slices day-old bread, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1/2 to 2/3 cup seasoned bread crumbs
- 2 tablespoons grated Romano cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Dash pepper
- 3 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 egg
- 1/2 to 3/4 cup water
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- In a large saucepan, cook the beef, onion and garlic over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain and set aside.
- In a bowl, combine bread cubes, crumbs, cheese, Italian seasoning, salt and pepper. Add butter; toss to coat. Beat egg and water; add to bread mixture. Add beef mixture, raisins and walnuts.
- Spoon into a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. Cover and bake at 350° for 30 minutes. Uncover; bake 10 minutes longer or until browned.
Nutrition Facts1/2 cup: 201 calories, 9g fat (3g saturated fat), 36mg cholesterol, 359mg sodium, 21g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 1g fiber), 9g protein.
Originally published as Hearty Poultry Stuffing in 1999 Taste of Home Annual Recipes
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
More from Taste of Home
What’s the Secret to Perfect Burgers at Home? A Former Restaurant Chef Shares 11 Expert Burger Grilling Tips