- 6 medium potatoes, peeled and sliced
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 6 celery ribs, chopped
- 8 cups water
- 1 onion, chopped
- 6 tablespoons butter, cubed
- 6 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1-1/2 cups 2% milk
- In a Dutch oven, cook the potatoes, carrots and celery in water until tender, about 15-20 minutes. Drain, reserving liquid and setting vegetables aside.
- In the same pan, saute onion in butter until tender. Stir in the flour, salt and pepper; gradually add milk. Bring to a boil, cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Gently stir in cooked vegetables. Add 1 cup or more of reserved cooking liquid until soup is desired consistency. Yield: 8-10 servings (about 2-1/2 quarts).
Reviews forHearty Potato Soup
"Very easy and tasty! I did add a little more salt and fried up some chopped bacon to garnish it. The bacon made a huge difference. I recommend the bacon topping!"
"easy and very tasty. I added two cubes of vegetable broth."
"I thought the taste of flour stood out too much in this recipe. Added extra milk but that did not seem to help much. Potato is my favorite soup so I love to try new recipes for it but this one won't be used again."
"easy to follow recipe. Creamy and delicious. Needed more salt and pepper."
"Great recipe! I added another tablespoon of kosher salt but overall a very tasty, hearty soup."
"I swapped out the milk & butter for almond milk & vegan butter and it still turned out great! I also added a bit more pepper. Great recipe"
"This was too plain for our taste. I added more salt and pepper than the recipe called for, as well as some fresh dill I happened to have on hand. These additions improved the soup's flavor but I'm going to keep searching for a recipe I can call "my own." Thank you for sharing your recipe, Gladys."
"This was a good base recipe. I will make it again with a few adjustments to add more flavor. I added a sprig of rosemary in the water with the vegetables to add flavor. Next time I will try also cooking the vegetables in broth and seasoning more heavily. We served it topped with crumbled turkey bacon and cheese."