Hearty Pork Pie
My family adores this pie, especially at holiday time. The dough is easy to work with, and the wonderful aroma calls everyone to the table, so I don't have to!—Sue Bacon, Glencoe, Minnesota
Total TimePrep: 45 min. + chilling Bake: 25 min. + standing
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 4 bacon strips, diced
- 1-1/2 pounds boneless pork, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 3 small onions, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/8 to 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 3/4 cup water
- 1 teaspoon beef bouillon granules
- 3 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- 1 tablespoon heavy whipping cream
- In a small bowl, combine the flour and salt. Cut in shortening until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Combine sour cream and egg; add to crumb mixture, tossing with a fork until dough forms a ball. Cover and refrigerate for 2 hours.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp. Remove to paper towels; drain, reserving 2 tablespoons drippings. Brown pork in drippings. Add onions ; cook and stir until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer.
- Sprinkle with flour, salt, pepper and allspice; stir until blended. Add the water, bouillon, parsley and bacon. Cover and cook over medium-low heat for 30 minutes or until meat is tender.
- Divide dough in half; roll out one portion to fit a 9-in. pie plate. Transfer to pie plate; trim pastry even with edge. Spoon filling into crust. Roll out remaining pastry to fit top of plate; place over filling. Trim, seal and flute edges. Cut slits in pastry; brush with cream.
- Bake at 400° for 25-30 minutes or until golden brown. Let stand for 15 minutes before cutting.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 470 calories, 28g fat (10g saturated fat), 97mg cholesterol, 826mg sodium, 29g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 1g fiber), 24g protein.
Originally published as Hearty Pork Pie in Casserole Cookbook
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.