My husband and I are both graduate students right now, so we don't have a lot of time to cook dinner. Our family loves coming home to this incredible nacho platter, and I love how easy it is to prepare. —Faith Stokes, Chickamauga, Georgia
Featured In: 50 Recipes for Homemade State Fair Food
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1 package (4 ounces) beef jerky
- 3 pounds pork spareribs, cut into 2-rib sections
- 4 cans (15 ounces each) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 4 cups beef broth
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 6 Jones Dairy Farm Dry-Aged Bacon strips, cooked and crumbled
- 3 large garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- Tortilla chips
- Optional toppings: shredded cheddar cheese, sour cream, thinly sliced green onions, pickled jalapenos and chopped tomatoes
- Place beef jerky in a food processor; pulse until finely ground. Place ribs in a 5- or 6-qt. slow cooker; top with jerky, beans, broth, onion, bacon, garlic and pepper flakes. Cook, covered, on low 6-8 hours or until meat is tender.
When cool enough to handle, remove meat from bones; discard bones. Shred meat with two forks; return to slow cooker. Strain pork mixture; discard juices. Serve with chips and toppings as desired.
Freeze option: Freeze cooled shredded meat mixture with juices in freezer containers. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Heat through in a saucepan, stirring occasionally. Strain pork mixture; discard juices. Serve with chips and toppings as desired. Yield: 10 servings.
Originally published as Hearty Pork and Black Bean Nachos in Taste of Home Everyday Slow Cooker & One Dish Recipes Annual 2016, p90