Hearty Pepper Strata
Here's a hefty, make-ahead strata that's as satisfying and delicious for dinner as it is for breakfast. You'll want to give this test kitchen recipe a try!
Total TimePrep: 15 min. + chilling Bake: 50 min. + standing
- 9 slices whole wheat bread, cubed
- 1 package (14 ounces) frozen pepper strips
- 1 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 8 large eggs
- 8 large egg whites
- 2-1/2 cups fat-free milk
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- Place bread cubes in a 13x9-in. baking dish coated with cooking spray; set aside.
- In a large skillet, saute the peppers, mushrooms and onion in oil until tender. In a large bowl, combine the eggs, egg whites, milk, cheese, salt, pepper and vegetable mixture; pour over the top. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- Remove from the refrigerator 30 minutes before baking. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 50-60 minutes or until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean. Let stand for 10 minutes before cutting.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 283 calories, 12g fat (5g saturated fat), 228mg cholesterol, 546mg sodium, 22g carbohydrate (9g sugars, 3g fiber), 21g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 medium-fat meat, 1 starch, 1 vegetable, 1/2 fat.
Originally published as Hearty Pepper Strata in Healthy Cooking February/March 2011