- 2 cups cubed peeled butternut squash
- 1/2 pound fresh brussels sprouts, halved
- 1 medium onion, cut into wedges
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 package (13-1/4 ounces) whole wheat penne pasta
- 1 pound Italian turkey sausage links, casings removed
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) Italian stewed tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1-1/2 cups (6 ounces) shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese, divided
- 1/3 cup shredded Asiago cheese, divided
- In a large bowl, combine the squash, brussels sprouts and onion; drizzle with oil and toss to coat. Spread vegetables in a single layer in two 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. baking pans coated with cooking spray. Bake, uncovered, at 425° for 30-40 minutes or until tender.
- Meanwhile, cook pasta according to package directions. In a large nonstick skillet, cook sausage over medium heat until meat is no longer pink. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer; drain. Add tomatoes and tomato paste; cook and stir over medium heat until slightly thickened, about 5 minutes.
- Drain pasta and return to the pan. Add sausage mixture, 1 cup mozzarella, 1/4 cup Asiago and roasted vegetables.
- Transfer to a 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish coated with cooking spray. Cover and bake at 350° for 30-40 minutes or until heated through. Uncover; sprinkle with remaining cheeses. Bake 5 minutes longer or until cheese is melted. Yield: 8 servings.
Reviews forHearty Pasta Casserole
"Ok, not great."
"Loved this recipe. Even got my 4 year old to clean his plate even. I microwaved the brussel sprouts, squash, and onions instead of baking which saved quite a bit of time. I have already made it again."
"I thought this was pretty good- but a lot of work for something that's not fabulous. Next time I will probably just make it with spaghetti sauce. It could use some more seasonings & definitely some salt."