Hearty Party Meatballs
This flavorful, filling appetizer is similar to Swedish meatballs. They always disappear when I make them for parties.
Total TimePrep: 45 min. Bake: 40 min.
- 4 bacon strips, diced
- 2 teaspoons beef bouillon granules
- 2 cups boiling water
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup dry bread crumbs
- 3/4 teaspoon salt, divided
- Dash pepper
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 2 medium onions, sliced and separated into rings
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 can (12 ounces) beer or 1-1/2 cups beef broth
- 2 teaspoons brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons white vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon browning sauce, optional
- In a small skillet, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp; remove to paper towels. Drain, reserving drippings. In a small bowl, dissolve bouillon in boiling water. In a large bowl, combine the egg, 1/4 cup of bouillon, bread crumbs, 1/4 teaspoon salt and pepper. Crumble beef over mixture and mix well. Shape into 1-in. balls.
- In a large skillet, brown meatballs in 1 tablespoon of reserved bacon drippings; drain. With a slotted spoon, transfer to a greased 11x7-in. baking dish. In the same skillet, saute onions until tender; drain. Place over meatballs.
- In a saucepan. combine flour and 2 tablespoons or reserved drippings until smooth. Gradually stir in beer or broth and remaining bouillon. Add the brown sugar, vinegar, thyme and remaining salt. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Stir in browning sauce if desired. Pour over meatballs. Cover and bake at 350° for 40-45 minutes or until meat is no longer pink. Sprinkle with bacon.
Nutrition Facts3 each: 225 calories, 12g fat (4g saturated fat), 69mg cholesterol, 566mg sodium, 12g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 1g fiber), 14g protein.
Originally published as Hearty Party Meatballs in Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook 2004
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
More from Taste of Home
What’s the Secret to Perfect Burgers at Home? A Former Restaurant Chef Shares 11 Expert Burger Grilling Tips