- 1-1/4 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup uncooked long grain rice
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2-1/4 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon saffron threads
- 1/8 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1 pound uncooked medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 3/4 cup frozen peas
- 12 pimiento-stuffed olives
- 1 medium lemon, cut into six wedges
- In a large skillet over medium heat, cook chicken in oil until no longer pink. Remove and keep warm. Add rice and onion to the pan; cook until rice is lightly browned and onion is tender, stirring frequently. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer.
- Stir in the broth, tomatoes, oregano, paprika, salt, pepper, saffron and turmeric. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low; cover and cook for 10 minutes.
- Add the shrimp, peas and olives. Cover and cook 10 minutes longer or until rice is tender, shrimp turn pink and liquid is absorbed. Add chicken; heat through. Serve with lemon wedges. Yield: 6 servings.
Reviews forHearty Paella
"Everything about this dish was perfect! The touch of lemon at the end really complimented the dish. Reminds me of my trip to Spain. Making for dinner and then taking to work for lunch is great. I made the recipe from the magazine print and they forgot to list what to do with the cooked chicken. Glad I found the recipe online to finish it off right. Thanks for sharing!!"
"I don't have any idea what "real" paella in Spain tastes like, but this was certainly good! The saffron is so expensive but worth it to get that yummy flavor. Loved the olives and lemon--made it taste very Mediterranean. The fam really enjoyed this--will make again."
"A wonderful combination of flavors."
"This was very good. My entire family loved it! Now I can't wait to try other Paella Recipes."
"My husband LOVES this dish. He would eat it every night if he could. The flavour is awesome and it's delicious with the lemon added. Great job!"
"This was my first time trying paella. I was very happy with how it turned out. I did not have saffron so I added just a little extra turmeric. I would love to try it with saffron next time."