Hearty Open-Faced Sandwiches
With 3 types of meat and two bold sauces, these sandwiches pack a flavorful punch. And since there's no chopping-only stacking-they come together in a snap.—Beverly McClure of Ames, Iowa
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 25 min.
- 6 English muffins, split
- 3 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 cup Thousand Island salad dressing
- 12 bacon strips, halved and cooked
- 12 ounces thinly sliced deli pastrami
- 6 ounces thinly sliced deli ham
- 1/2 cup horseradish sauce
- 6 slices Swiss cheese, halved
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon dill weed
- Dill pickle slices, optional
- Arrange muffin halves, cut side up, on a baking sheet. Broil 4-6 in. from the heat for 2-3 minutes or until golden brown.
- Combine butter and garlic powder; brush over muffin halves. Spread with salad dressing. Layer with bacon, pastrami, ham, horseradish and cheese; sprinkle with dill.
- Broil 4-6 in. from the heat for 3-4 minutes or until cheese is melted. Serve with pickles if desired.
Nutrition Facts2 each: 313 calories, 19g fat (7g saturated fat), 67mg cholesterol, 976mg sodium, 17g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 1g fiber), 16g protein.
Originally published as Smokey Mountains in Simple & Delicious May/June 2008
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.