Hearty Oat Loaf
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 40 min.
Makes1 loaf (10 wedges)
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons quick-cooking oats, divided
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg
- 1-1/2 cups fat-free milk
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- In a large bowl, combine the flours, 1/2 cup oats, sugar, baking powder and salt. In another bowl, combine the egg, milk and oil; stir into dry ingredients just until moistened. Spread batter into an 8- or 9-in. round baking pan coated with cooking spray. Sprinkle with remaining oats.
- Bake at 350° for 40-50 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool for 5 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack. Serve warm.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 229 calories, 6g fat (1g saturated fat), 22mg cholesterol, 272mg sodium, 38g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 3g fiber), 7g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2-1/2 starch, 1 fat.
Feb 15, 2015
I've been making this for years. In fact, I'm making it right now! :) We love it with chili or soup. This is a family favorite!
Sep 9, 2013
This bread has been a favorite for many years! I love how healthy and hearty it is. Perfect with a bowl of soup!
Sep 23, 2012
Love this recipie! I add all sorts of stuuf to it for a variety....cheese, basil, rosemary, ect
Jul 31, 2012
Very easy to make. My children really liked it.
Feb 28, 2012
I think this recipe could be better with some alterations. Mine was rather crumbly and seemed to be lacking in flavor. So next time I think I'll use 1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour or maybe more, and reduce the all-purpose then. I also might substitute brown sugar for the white sugar to enhance the flavor. I would still try this recipe again though, since I think it could be very good if the recipe was tweaked a bit.
Jan 7, 2011
It's a little crumbly but moist and a nice taste! Really quick to throw together if you're short on time.
Aug 19, 2010
I made this in a casserole because I don't have the right cake pan. It stuck to the bottom. I think next time I'll make it in a springform pan for easier release. It was yummy with butter, but when it tested done, it wasn't; so we enjoyed slightly doughy bread. I used 2 cups whole wheat flour and 1 cup AP flour and old fashioned oats.
Oct 29, 2009
I have used this recipe for years. It is awesome! Very hearty, quick and tastes great. It is great toasted also. I always get compliments on it. Great with bread. I got it out of taste of home years ago.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.