Hearty Oat Loaf
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 40 min.
Makes1 loaf (10 wedges)
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons quick-cooking oats, divided
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg
- 1-1/2 cups fat-free milk
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- In a large bowl, combine the flours, 1/2 cup oats, sugar, baking powder and salt. In another bowl, combine the egg, milk and oil; stir into dry ingredients just until moistened. Spread batter into an 8- or 9-in. round baking pan coated with cooking spray. Sprinkle with remaining oats.
- Bake at 350° for 40-50 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool for 5 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack. Serve warm.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 229 calories, 6g fat (1g saturated fat), 22mg cholesterol, 272mg sodium, 38g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 3g fiber), 7g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2-1/2 starch, 1 fat.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Feb 15, 2015
I've been making this for years. In fact, I'm making it right now! :) We love it with chili or soup. This is a family favorite!
Sep 9, 2013
This bread has been a favorite for many years! I love how healthy and hearty it is. Perfect with a bowl of soup!
Sep 23, 2012
Love this recipie! I add all sorts of stuuf to it for a variety....cheese, basil, rosemary, ect
Jul 31, 2012
Very easy to make. My children really liked it.
Feb 28, 2012
I think this recipe could be better with some alterations. Mine was rather crumbly and seemed to be lacking in flavor. So next time I think I'll use 1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour or maybe more, and reduce the all-purpose then. I also might substitute brown sugar for the white sugar to enhance the flavor. I would still try this recipe again though, since I think it could be very good if the recipe was tweaked a bit.
Jan 7, 2011
It's a little crumbly but moist and a nice taste! Really quick to throw together if you're short on time.
Aug 19, 2010
I made this in a casserole because I don't have the right cake pan. It stuck to the bottom. I think next time I'll make it in a springform pan for easier release. It was yummy with butter, but when it tested done, it wasn't; so we enjoyed slightly doughy bread. I used 2 cups whole wheat flour and 1 cup AP flour and old fashioned oats.
Oct 29, 2009
I have used this recipe for years. It is awesome! Very hearty, quick and tastes great. It is great toasted also. I always get compliments on it. Great with bread. I got it out of taste of home years ago.