Hearty New England Dinner Recipe
- 2 medium carrots, sliced
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 1 celery rib, sliced
- 1 boneless beef chuck roast (about 3 pounds)
- 1 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 envelope onion soup mix
- 2 cups water
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 small head cabbage, cut into wedges
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon dried minced onion
- 2 tablespoons prepared horseradish
- 1. Place the carrots, onion and celery in a 5-qt. slow cooker. Cut roast in half. Place roast over vegetables; sprinkle with 1/2 teaspoon salt and pepper. Add the soup mix, water, vinegar and bay leaf. Cover and cook on low for 7-9 hours or until beef is tender.
- 2. Remove beef and keep warm; discard bay leaf. Add cabbage. Cover and cook on high for 30-40 minutes or until cabbage is tender.
- 3. Meanwhile, melt butter in a small saucepan; stir in flour and onion. Skim fat from cooking liquid in slow cooker. Add 1-1/2 cups cooking liquid to the saucepan. Stir in horseradish and remaining salt; bring to a boil. Cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened and bubbly. Serve with roast and vegetables. Yield: 6-8 servings.
1 each: 371 calories, 21g fat (9g saturated fat), 122mg cholesterol, 747mg sodium, 10g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 2g fiber), 35g protein.
Reviews for Hearty New England Dinner
"This roast is the horseradish gravy is awesome!!"
"WE love this recipe! My 7 yo loves it as well. Only thing I do different is I only cook the cabbage about 20 minutes as we prefer it crisper!"
"So easy and nicely flavored. I cooked it longer (a total of 12 hours) and it was so tender even my mom, who has trouble chewing could eat it."
"This is a good recipe but other than the horseradish it not a unique recipe. I currently don't have a crock pot so did this in the oven. The meat would probably have been more tender and moister in the MW."
"My favorite. I've made a few changes to fit my taste but even without my adjustments this dish would be good. A definite keeper."