Hearty Mixed Vegetable Soup
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1/2 small carrot, grated
- 1/2 celery rib, chopped
- 2 tablespoons chopped green pepper
- 1 tablespoon chopped onion
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 3/4 teaspoon sugar
- Dash pepper
- 1-1/2 teaspoons cornstarch
- In a small saucepan, saute the carrot, celery, green pepper and onion in butter until tender. Set aside 2 tablespoons broth. Add the tomatoes, sugar, pepper and remaining broth to vegetable mixture; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Combine cornstarch and reserved broth until smooth; gradually add to the soup. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until slightly thickened.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 124 calories, 6g fat (4g saturated fat), 15mg cholesterol, 642mg sodium, 16g carbohydrate (10g sugars, 4g fiber), 4g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 vegetable, 1 fat, 1/2 starch.
Dec 9, 2013
I used twice the amount of ingredients to make (4) servings. It is very tasty and is great for when you don't want a heavy meal. I am trying to lose weight and I plan on eating this as a light lunch. My husband is diabetic and he loves vegetables and he thought it was SUPER. I will make this soup at least once a week.
Nov 28, 2013
Add beans for more protein. I love carrots in soup as well as mushrooms, corn and fresh or frozen green beans so mine would have a lot more variety. Making a pot this week! Tamato/Veggie Juice adds a nice flavor to the broth, even the mild spicy one is good.
Jan 12, 2012
Good basic, healthy vegetable soup. I make mine with vegetable stock and sometimes add other vegetables, e.g., chopped parsnip, turnip. I like that it's both diabetic and gluten-free. Thanks!
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.