Hearty Meatless Minestrone Recipe
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 2 medium carrots, chopped
- 1 cup chopped cabbage
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- 1 medium zucchini, chopped
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 3-1/2 cups water
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 can (15 ounces) garbanzo beans or chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (15 ounces) tomato puree
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 3 tablespoons dried parsley flakes
- 2 teaspoons dried basil
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 cup small pasta shells
- Fresh basil leaves and shaved Parmesan cheese, optional
- 1. In a Dutch oven, saute onion in oil for 2 minutes. Add the celery, carrots, cabbage, green pepper, zucchini and garlic; saute 3 minutes longer. Stir in the water, tomatoes, beans, tomato puree, tomato sauce and seasonings. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15 minutes.
- 2. Stir in pasta; cook 12-15 minutes longer or until tender. Garnish each serving with basil and cheese if desired. Yield: 8 servings (3 quarts).
1-1/2 cups: 191 calories, 6g fat (1g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 664mg sodium, 29g carbohydrate (9g sugars, 7g fiber), 6g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 vegetable, 1 starch, 1 fat.
Reviews for Hearty Meatless Minestrone
"This is a staple in our house...great soup!!"
"A very good minestrone recipe. Makes a lot!"
"I substituted cannelini beans for the chickpeas and cut the recipe in half, also left out the cabbage. soup was delicious!"
"I made the recipe and I liked the chunky veggies. I had left out the tomato sauce because I didn't have any. I could not tell the difference. Next time, I will substitute kidney beans for the chickpeas."
"I actually added a little sausage to make my meat eating hubby happy and we both loved this hearty veggie packed soup."
"I have made this recipe a couple of times. It is very good. I reduced the amount of cayenne pepper on the second batch when one of my kids said it was a bit too spicy."
"I just gave this to my kids for dinner; I used my immersion blender to blend out the chunks, and my son loved it! And I do too!"
"This is wonderful!I substituted red beans for the garbonzo beans.I've never made minestrone before, but I will make this again!"
"I didn't add the tomato sauce. I also threw in some leftover meatloaf crumbles. It was very good. It was very tomatoey without adding the additional sauce and I felt like it really needed some meat~threw in a couple beef boullion cubes as well."