Hearty Meatless Chili
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 55 min.
Makes8 servings (2-1/2 quarts)
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 medium zucchini, finely chopped
- 2 medium carrots, finely chopped
- 3 tablespoons cornmeal
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 2 tablespoons paprika
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 cans (one 28 ounces, one 14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 2 cans (15 ounces each) pinto beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (16 ounces) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 8 tablespoons fat-free sour cream
- 8 tablespoons thinly sliced green onions
- 8 teaspoons minced fresh cilantro
- In a Dutch oven, saute onion in oil until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Stir in zucchini and carrots. Add the cornmeal, chili powder, paprika, sugar, cumin and cayenne; cook and stir for 1 minute.
- Stir in tomatoes and beans. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 45 minutes. Garnish each serving with sour cream, green onions and cilantro.
Nutrition Facts1-1/4 cups: 254 calories, 3g fat (0 saturated fat), 3mg cholesterol, 466mg sodium, 47g carbohydrate (12g sugars, 12g fiber), 13g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Jan 31, 2012
Made this for supper tonight. Was easy to assemble. Just an FYI - 2 tablespoons of Chili Powder is way too much if you are feeding this to children. I added only 1 tablespoon and it was still too much for me! Overall, very tasty recipe and I would definately make it again using less chili powder
Jan 5, 2009
Can the leftovers be frozen?