- Pastry for two double-crust pies
- 2 cups grated peeled potatoes
- 1-1/4 cups diced celery
- 1 cup grated carrots
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 3/4 pound lean ground beef (90% lean)
- MUSHROOM GRAVY (for each pie):
- 1 can (4 ounces) mushroom stems and pieces
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 teaspoon beef bouillon granules
- 4 drops browning sauce, optional
- Divide pastry into fourths. On a lightly floured surface, roll out one portion to fit a 9-in. pie plate. In a large bowl, combine the next seven ingredients; crumble beef over mixture and mix well. Spoon half into crust.
- Roll out another portion of pastry to fit top of pie; place over filling and seal edges. Cut vents in top pastry. Repeat with remaining pastry and filling. Cover and freeze one pie for up to 3 months.
- Bake second pie at 375° for 15 minutes. Reduce heat; bake at 350° for 1 hour. Meanwhile, drain mushrooms, reserving liquid. Add water to liquid to measure 1 cup; set aside.
- In a small saucepan, cook mushrooms and flour in oil until bubbly. Remove from the heat; stir in bouillon and reserved mushroom liquid. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 1 minute or until thickened. Stir in browning sauce if desired. Serve gravy with pie.
- To use frozen pie: Bake at 375° for 70 minutes. Prepare gravy as directed; serve with pie. Yield: 2 pies (6-8 servings each).
Reviews forHearty Meat Pie
"Gross. Threw it out. Dry. Awful Taste."
"What can be substitued for the mushrooms? Any suggestions?"
"5 STARS! My husband and I loved this recipe. I made a few changes. I used half pork & half beef. I also added some extra veggies (and even so my husbands only critic was it didn't have enough veggies in the pie). I also added some poultry seasoning & Oregano. Next time I'm going to add some garlic & maybe some red pepper flakes for a tiny kick."
"I think you would bake from frozen just like a fruit pie, otherwise the crust may get soggy. Put it on the lowest rack in the oven and bake at 425 for 20 minutes, then reduce heat to 375 and move pie to middle of oven. Cook remaining time indicated, but keep an eye on it as the crust may brown quickly."
"I added some tomato jc. to the filling and subbed 2 cups frozen mixed veggies for celery & carrots. It's awesome having one waiting in the freezer for busy days! We've served it with the gravy from the recipe, but it's also great with ketchup or greek salad dressing on top :)"