Hearty Mac & Cheese Recipe
- 1 package (7-1/4 ounces) macaroni and cheese dinner mix
- 1 pound ground beef
- 3 tablespoons chopped onion
- 2 tablespoons chopped green pepper
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed tomato soup, undiluted
- 2 tablespoons water
- 2 tablespoons ketchup
- 2 teaspoons prepared mustard
- 1 teaspoon seasoned salt
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup frozen corn, thawed
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 1/4 cup 2% milk
- 1. Cook macaroni according to package directions; set cheese packet aside. Meanwhile, in a large skillet, cook the beef, onion and green pepper over medium heat until meat is no longer pink and vegetables are tender; drain.
- 2. Add the soup, water, ketchup, mustard and seasonings. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 4 minutes.
- 3. Drain macaroni; add to beef mixture. Add the corn, cheese, contents of reserved cheese packet, butter and milk. Cook and stir until cheese and butter are melted. Yield: 6 servings.
1 cup: 480 calories, 24g fat (13g saturated fat), 92mg cholesterol, 1253mg sodium, 39g carbohydrate (12g sugars, 2g fiber), 25g protein.
Reviews for Hearty Mac & Cheese
"<p>This was pretty good but like some others said, it didn't really wow me. I may make it again sometime. I used a whole onion and a whole green pepper - I didn't think 2-3 tbsp. would be nearly enough for a whole pound of ground beef... The measurements kinda made me chuckle:)</p>"
"This was a great meal. Leftovers were gone within days"
"Very rich, hearty and tasty."
"Oh so creamy & delicious! We added a bit extra onion & green pepper.~ Theresa"
"I served this with a warm herbed bread and it was awesome. Very yummy!"
"I think this was average. Nothing special. It just didn't have that WOW. To me it tasted like hamburger helper... :(("
"My kids are fairly picky eaters. I am asked to make this weekly. I have shared with many family members and it is a hit with my nieces and nephews. This is a very quick tasty meal for a weeknight. AWESOME"
"The leftovers warmed up good. For some reason, I liked it better today. I change my mind. I would make it again and possibly up it to 4 stars instead of 3."
"This recipe was just ok to me. It was good. I'm glad I made it. But, I don't think it wowwed me enough to make it again. The corn seemed like an odd ingredient and I think it had too much chili powder in it."
"I love this recipe, I have seriously made it at least 5 times since I got this magazine in the mail. I've tweaked it a bit to fit with pantry staples we have(I make my own mac n cheese) and use marinara sauce instead. This is a HUGE hit with my family, my two young children and husband love it, as do I."
"Very tasty! Made enough for two of us and then plenty to freeze for next week!"
"I got home late and had to throw something together in a hurry and decided to try this. It was as easy as hamburger helper and tasted so much better. I didn't have frozen corn on hand so I used a small can of mexicorn. The only thing I'll do differently next time, is I'll make sure the cheese packet gets dissolved in the milk. I didn't think it got mixed in all the way."
"I got home late and had to throw something together in a hurry and decided to try this. It was as easy as hamburger helper and tasted so much better. I didn't have frozen corn on hand so I used a small can of mexicorn. The only thing I'll do differently next time, is I'll make sure the cheese packet gets dissolved in the milk next timre. I didn't think it got mixed in all the way."
"The dish came together pretty quickly and it tasted great! I did cut the chili powder in half because I didn't want it to be too overpowering for my two-year-old."
"Very easy & tasty, but didn't want to wait for frozen corn to defrost so used canned, but was too much (made it too sweet), would cut down on amt of corn next time, oh AND, I also sliced a jalapeno into it, was awesome! Highly suggest that too!"