Hearty Luncheon Salad
The real star of this recipe is by far the dressing, which adds an appealing sweet touch to the greens. This salad can be made ahead—that makes it a "keeper" in my book.
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 4 cups torn fresh spinach
- 4 cups torn iceberg lettuce
- 1/2 to 1 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1/2 to 1 cup shredded carrots
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced red onion
- 4 hard-boiled large eggs, quartered
- 3 boneless skinless chicken breast halves, cooked and sliced
- 9 bacon strips, cooked and crumbled
- 1/2 cup chow mein noodles
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons vinegar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons prepared mustard
- 1-1/2 teaspoons onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon celery seed
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- In a large bowl, toss spinach, lettuce, mushrooms, carrots and onion. Arrange eggs around edge of bowl. Place chicken in center of bowl. Sprinkle with bacon and chow mein noodles. In a blender or food processor, combine sugar, vinegar, mustard, onion powder, celery seed, salt and pepper; with unit running, add oil in a slow steady stream. Pour over salad; toss. Serve immediately.
Originally published as Hearty Luncheon Salad in Home-Style Soups, Salad and Sandwiches Cookbook