- 1 pound dried lima beans
- 1 large meaty ham bone or 2 ham hocks
- 2-1/2 quarts water
- 5 celery ribs, cut into chunks
- 5 medium carrots, cut into chunks
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- Pinch paprika
- 1 cup cold water
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) stewed tomatoes
- Place beans in a Dutch oven; add water to cover by 2 in. Bring to a boil; boil for 2 minutes. Remove from the heat; cover and let stand for 1 hour. Drain and discard liquid; return beans to pan.
- Add ham bone and 2-1/2 qt. water; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1-1/2 hours.
- Debone ham and cut meat into chunks; return to pan. Add celery and carrots. Cover and simmer for 1 hour or until beans are tender.
- In a small skillet, saute garlic in butter for 1 minute. Stir in the flour, salt, pepper and paprika. Add cold water; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Add to the soup with tomatoes; simmer for 10 minutes or until heated through. Yield: 14 servings (3-1/2 quarts).
Reviews forHearty Lima Bean Soup
"I hate when someone reviews a recipe and says "but I did this" and then goes on to change the recipe in substantial ways. I can tell this recipe as stated would be grand. I had no celery at hand but I did have jalapeno and poblano peppers which I diced and liberally added to this in place. To my taste, it did not add much heat at all but maybe gave just a slightly different hint of flavor. Very hearty and filling and not much work at all. Thumbs up!"
"Have made it more than once. We love it but my other half insists that I add his secret ingredient, 2 T of mustard. I see NOT difference with or without it. If I use the tomatoes, I have to cut them into very small pieces."
"Just what I was looking for."
"This is a 5 star recipe. Everyone that taste this bean soup loves it. I use Italian stewed tomatoes and cook it in the crock pot on high for 7 hrs. I highly recommend this."