Hearty Lima Bean Bake
Sausage and chili powder spice up yummy baked beans. “I often double the recipe and take it to picnics,” says Cathy Elands of Hightstown, New Jersey. “Everyone loves it.”
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 45 min.
- 1/2 medium green pepper, diced
- 1/3 cup chopped onion
- 1/4 cup chopped celery
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/4 pound turkey Italian sausage links, cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 1 cup frozen lima beans, thawed
- 3/4 cup canned diced tomatoes
- 3 tablespoons water
- 2 teaspoons brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon ground mustard
- Dash salt and pepper
- In a large nonstick skillet, saute the green pepper, onion and celery in oil until tender. Add sausage; cook and stir over medium heat for 3 minutes or until no longer pink. Stir in the remaining ingredients. Cover and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Transfer to an ungreased 1-qt. baking dish. Bake, uncovered, at 325° for 45-50 minutes or until heated through, stirring once.
Nutrition Facts1-1/4 cups: 316 calories, 13g fat (3g saturated fat), 30mg cholesterol, 610mg sodium, 34g carbohydrate (13g sugars, 9g fiber), 17g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 1-1/2 lean meat, 1 vegetable, 1 fat.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Originally published as Panchos Limas in Cooking for 2 Fall 2005