Hearty Layer Salad
This is a pretty salad with a nice variety of flavors and textures. It's a "meal in a bowl" for lighter eating on a warm day.
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 20 min.
- 6 cups mixed salad greens
- 1 can (15 ounces) garbanzo beans or chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 small cucumber, thinly sliced
- 1 cup thinly sliced red onion, cut in half and separated
- 3 hard-boiled large eggs, sliced
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts, toasted
- 1 large ripe avocado, peeled and sliced
- 1 cup (8 ounces) sour cream
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- In a large glass bowl, layer the first eight ingredients. In a blender, combine the dressing ingredients; cover and process until smooth. Serve with the salad.
Originally published as Hearty Layer Salad in Country Extra July 2004
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.