Hearty Honey-Oatmeal Rolls
Roll call! Friends and family request this recipe more than any other I make. The rolls are soft and chewy and go with any meal. They're good for sandwiches, too. —Callie Palen-Lowrie, Louisville, Colorado
Total TimePrep: 40 min. + standing Bake: 25 min.
Makes1-1/2 dozen (plus honey butter)
- 1 cup old-fashioned oats
- 1 cup water
- 4 to 4-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup 2% milk
- 1/3 cup butter, cubed
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 1 large egg
- 1 large egg
- 1 tablespoon water
- 2 tablespoons old-fashioned oats
- HONEY BUTTER:
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1/4 cup honey
- Dash salt
- In a small bowl, combine oats and water; let stand, covered, 2 hours. Drain.
- In a large bowl, mix 2 cups flour, yeast and salt. In a small saucepan, heat milk, butter and honey to 120°-130°. Add to dry ingredients; beat on medium speed 2 minutes. Add egg and drained oats; beat on high 2 minutes. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough (dough will be sticky).
- On a floured surface, knead dough until smooth and elastic, 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease the top. Cover with plastic wrap; let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Punch down dough. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; divide and shape into 18 balls. Place 2 in. apart on a greased baking sheet. Cover with a kitchen towel; let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 30 minutes. Preheat oven to 375°.
- Whisk egg with water. Brush over rolls; sprinkle with oats. Bake until golden brown, about 20 minutes. Remove from pan to a wire rack.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl, beat honey butter ingredients until smooth. Serve with warm rolls.
Nutrition Facts1 roll with about 1-1/2 teaspoons honey butter: 236 calories, 10g fat (6g saturated fat), 44mg cholesterol, 263mg sodium, 32g carbohydrate (8g sugars, 1g fiber), 5g protein.
Originally published as Oatmeal Rolls with Orange Blossom Honey Butter in Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook 2018
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.