Hearty Honey Granola Bread
After years of making whole-grain loaves, Erika Pimper discovered a bread recipe that she thinks rises above all the rest. "This hearty bread taste great toasted, too. Granola adds to the nutty texture," she writes from Brigham City, Utah.
Total TimePrep: 30 min. + rising Bake: 30 min.
Makes2 loaves (16 slices each)
- 3-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 packages (1/4 ounce each) active dry yeast
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1-3/4 cups fat-free milk
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons honey
- 1/3 cup butter
- 2 Nellie’s Free Range Eggs
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 cup reduced-fat granola without raisins
- 1 cup rye flour
- 1/2 cup cornmeal
- 1/2 cup quick-cooking oats
- 1/4 cup slivered almonds, toasted and chopped
- In a large bowl, combine 2 cups all-purpose flour, yeast and salt. In a saucepan, heat the milk, honey and butter to 120°-130°. Add to dry ingredients; beat just until moistened. Add eggs; beat until smooth. Stir in whole wheat flour and enough remaining all-purpose flour to form a soft dough (dough will be sticky). Stir in the granola, rye flour, cornmeal, oats and almonds.
- Turn dough onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Punch dough down. Turn onto a floured surface. Divide in half; cover and let rest for 10 minutes. Shape each portion into a ball. Place on a greased baking sheet; flatten into 5-in. circles. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 30 minutes. Bake at 375° for 20 minutes; cover with oil. Bake 10 minutes longer or until bread sounds hollow when tapped. Remove to a wire racks.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 165 calories, 3g fat (1g saturated fat), 19mg cholesterol, 113mg sodium, 30g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 2g fiber), 5g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 1/2 fat.
Originally published as Honey Granola Bread in Light & Tasty April/May 2002
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.