- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 1/2 cup chopped sweet red pepper
- 1/4 cup chopped green pepper
- 1/4 cup chopped celery
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 pound sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) Italian diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 can (6 ounces) tomato paste
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- Hot cooked spaghetti
- 2 tablespoons shredded Parmesan cheese
- In a large skillet, cook the beef, peppers, celery, onion and garlic over medium heat until meat is no longer pink and vegetables are tender; drain. Add the mushrooms; cook for 2 minutes.
- Stir in the tomatoes, tomato paste, water, bay leaf, sugar, salt, basil, oregano and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 45 minutes, stirring often. Discard bay leaf. Serve sauce over spaghetti. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese. Yield: 4 cups.
Reviews forHearty Homemade Spaghetti Sauce
"I made this to use in baked ziti and was very pleased with the results. I didn't have red bell pepper so I just increased the amount of green. I also added 1/4 cup of finely chopped carrots. No doubt this will be my go-to spaghetti sauce."
"I quadrupled this recipe, making 3 small changes..n 1 major.. substituting sweet italian sausage for gound beef...1 cup chardonnay for water (was out of favorite dry white wine..pinot grigio..), used equal parts yellow, red, n orange bell peppers (don't like green) and used my fresh basil n cuban oregano instead of dried and added 2 tbs of fresh flat leaf parsley.....WAS AWESOME!!!!! if I do say so. Made enough to freeze several batches for future use. Served over cheese stuffed ravioli n made beer bread while it was simmering."
"this is the recipe I use when makingsauce for 2 .very good"