Once they take a spoonful of this soup chock-full of potatoes and ham, folks will think you fussed. Since it uses frozen hash browns, it's really simple and fast to make.—Frances Rector, Vinton, Iowa
Featured In: 40 Recipes for Vegetable Soup
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1 package (30 ounces) frozen shredded hash brown potatoes
- 4 cups water
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 celery ribs, sliced
- 4 teaspoons chicken bouillon granules
- 1/2 teaspoon celery seed
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 4 cans (10-3/4 ounces each) condensed cream of chicken soup, undiluted
- 4 cups 2% milk
- 2 cups cubed fully cooked ham
- 1 tablespoon dried parsley flakes
- 1-1/2 teaspoons garlic salt
- 8 bacon strips, cooked and crumbled
- In a 6-qt. stockpot, combine the first seven ingredients. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, 15-20 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
- Mash potatoes and vegetables to desired consistency. Stir in condensed soup and milk until blended. Add ham, parsley and garlic salt; heat through. Sprinkle servings with bacon. Yield: 16 servings (4 quarts).
Originally published as Hearty Hash Brown Soup in Home-Style Soups, Salad and Sandwiches Cookbook 1996, p109
Reviews forHearty Hash Brown Soup
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Feb. 15, 2011
"Good soup-a bit salty but I added more water and it helped. I would recommend it for something different for supper to try."