Hearty Hash Brown Dinner
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Cook: 4-1/2 hours
- 3 cups frozen shredded hash brown potatoes, thawed
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 package (16 ounces) frozen California-blend vegetables
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed cream of chicken soup, undiluted
- 1 cup whole milk
- 12 ounces process cheese (Velveeta), cubed
- 1 can (2.8 ounces) french-fried onions
- Place potatoes in a lightly greased 5-qt. slow cooker; sprinkle with salt and pepper. In a large skillet, cook beef and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Spoon over potatoes. Top with vegetables. Combine soup and milk; pour over vegetables. Cover and cook on low for 4 to 4-1/2 hours.
- Top with cheese; cover and cook 30 minutes longer or until cheese is melted. Just before serving, sprinkle with french-fried onions.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 775 calories, 47g fat (23g saturated fat), 124mg cholesterol, 2207mg sodium, 39g carbohydrate (14g sugars, 4g fiber), 45g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Sep 13, 2015
my family loves this dish and we try and cut back on the fat and calories by adding more veggies, less cream soup and no velveeta, we used a shredded cheese blend - also didn't add the french fried onions. My kids love it and it's great to have when we have a houseful! Serve it up with a salad and crusty bread on the side!
Mar 5, 2012
Oh, and I left off the french fried onions. Not necessary at all
Mar 5, 2012
Not so unhealthy if you make a few changes. 98% fat free and sodium free cream of chicken soup, skim milk instead of whole milk, use pepper only, and sprinkle on fat free cheddar cheese. It was very good.
Jun 28, 2011
This is really unhealthy, but I knew that when I made it. I thought perhaps it would be worth it. This cook time turned everything to mush and it had an odd sweet taste. Yuck!
Jul 22, 2010
To lower the calorie intake, I did this one up as 8 servings instead of 4 servings. I had my friends come over for dinner and they loved it so much that they asked for the recipe.
May 18, 2010
This reminds me of a fancier version of shepherd's pie. My family likes shepherd's pie much better than this (which is super simple to make). It was just okay. We ate it all, but I wouldn't make it again. I agree that it wasn't worth the lack of nutritional value. It has to be really good for me to be willing to ignore the nutrition facts. This didn't pass the test.
Aug 23, 2009
I agree this was tasty but not worth the 47 grams of fat and 775 calories per serving. Sorry I have to toss this one out.
Jun 17, 2009
This is delicious!! My whole family loved it including my grandkids. It was so easy to fix - I only wish I had doubled the recipe.