Hearty Hamburger Soup
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
Makes8 servings (2 quarts)
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 cups tomato juice
- 1 cup finely chopped carrot
- 1 cup finely chopped peeled potato
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon seasoned salt
- WHITE SAUCE:
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 4 cups milk
- In a large skillet, cook beef and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Add the tomato juice, carrot and potato. Stir in seasonings. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 10-15 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
- Meanwhile, in a large saucepan, melt butter. Stir in flour until smooth; gradually add milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 1-2 minutes or until thickened. Stir in vegetable mixture; heat through.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 274 calories, 15g fat (8g saturated fat), 60mg cholesterol, 1014mg sodium, 20g carbohydrate (10g sugars, 2g fiber), 16g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Nov 4, 2010
We apologize for any confusion. When making the sauce, we failed to mention when the milk should be added. After the flour has been blended into the butter, gradually add the milk. Cook and stir until the sauce is thickened. After the sauce is made, the beef and vegetable mixture is stirred into it. The white sauce provides the creamy base to the soup and thickens it.The recipe will be corrected here soon.Taste of Home Test Kitchen
Nov 4, 2010
Me too.....am I missing something? Interested, but want to hear more.
Sep 28, 2010
I'm very curious to know where the sauce fits into the soup?