I've been making this pie for a few years now. I like to vary the vegetables and meat depending on what I have on hand. I've made it with leftover turkey, sausage and lamb roast. In summer, it's a perfect brunch meal with a salad; in winter, add a loaf of homemade bread for a great dinner.
Recommended: 50 Hearty Breakfast Casseroles
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh broccoli
- 1/4 cup chopped green pepper
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh mushrooms
- 3 tablespoons chopped onion
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 2 cups chopped fully cooked ham, divided
- 1-1/2 cups shredded Swiss cheese, divided
- 1 unbaked pastry shell (9 inches)
- 4 large eggs, beaten
- 1 cup half-and-half cream
- In a saucepan, saute the broccoli, green pepper, mushrooms, onion and garlic in oil until tender. Sprinkle half of the ham and cheese into pie crust. Cover with the vegetables and the remaining ham and cheese. Combine eggs and cream; pour over ham and cheese. Bake at 350° for 45-50 minutes or until knife inserted near the center comes out clean. If needed, cover edge of crust with foil to prevent excess browning. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Hearty Ham Pie in Country Extra March 1995, p49
Reviews forHearty Ham Pie
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Jan. 14, 2013
"Very, very good. Left out the peppers, but made no other changes. My husband loved it."
Reviewed Apr. 11, 2009
"Very good. I really enjoyed it."