Hearty Ham Loaf with Sweet & Tangy Sauce
Hearty Ham Loaf combines ground ham, pork and beef in tender meaty slices. Says Luella Feck of Bexley, Ohio. "I volunteered to cook for a regular group meeting of senior citizens. When I started, there were 35 attending. Now the members are up to over 100, thanks in part to dishes like this tasty ham loaf."
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 1-1/4 hours
Makes3 loaves and 4 cups sauce (8 servings each)
- 3 eggs
- 2 cups milk
- 1-1/2 cups crushed saltines (about 35 crackers)
- 1-1/2 cups graham cracker crumbs
- 1 teaspoon onion salt
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 3 pounds ground fully cooked ham
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 pound ground pork
- SWEET TANGY SAUCE:
- 2 cans (10-3/4 ounces each) condensed tomato soup, undiluted
- 2-1/2 cups packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons ground mustard
- In a very large bowl, combine the eggs, milk, cracker crumbs, onion salt, salt and pepper. Crumble meat over mixture; mix well.
- Shape into three loaves, about 9x3-1/2x1-3/4 in. each. Transfer to greased 9x5-in. loaf pans. Bake at 350° for 1 to 1-1/4 hours or until a thermometer reads 160°.
- Meanwhile, in a saucepan, combine the sauce ingredients. Cook and stir until sugar is dissolved. Serve with ham loaves.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 375 calories, 18g fat (6g saturated fat), 86mg cholesterol, 1103mg sodium, 32g carbohydrate (26g sugars, 1g fiber), 20g protein.
Originally published as Hearty Ham Loaf in Taste of Home February/March 2001
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.