Hearty Ham and Chicken Gumbo
—Jean Leonard, Houston, Texas
Total TimePrep: 10 min. Cook: 45 min.
- 3 bacon strips, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1/3 cup chopped onion
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/2 cup cubed fully cooked ham
- 1/4 cup cubed cooked chicken
- 1 cup frozen sliced okra
- 1 can (8 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1/2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 4 drops hot pepper sauce
- Hot cooked rice
- In a large skillet, cook bacon just until crisp. Add onion and cook, stirring constantly, until bacon is crisp and onion is soft. Add garlic, ham and chicken; cook for 2 minutes, stirring constantly. Stir in okra, tomatoes and broth; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 30 minutes. Add Worcestershire sauce, salt and hot pepper sauce. Serve over rice.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 307 calories, 20g fat (6g saturated fat), 60mg cholesterol, 1548mg sodium, 14g carbohydrate (7g sugars, 4g fiber), 19g protein.
Originally published as Ham and Chicken Gumbo in The Taste of Home Cookbook 2nd Edition