Hearty Ham and Chicken Gumbo
—Jean Leonard, Houston, Texas
Total TimePrep: 10 min. Cook: 45 min.
- 3 bacon strips, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1/3 cup chopped onion
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/2 cup cubed fully cooked ham
- 1/4 cup cubed cooked chicken
- 1 cup frozen sliced okra
- 1 can (8 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1/2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 4 drops hot pepper sauce
- Hot cooked rice
- In a large skillet, cook bacon just until crisp. Add onion and cook, stirring constantly, until bacon is crisp and onion is soft. Add garlic, ham and chicken; cook for 2 minutes, stirring constantly. Stir in okra, tomatoes and broth; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 30 minutes. Add Worcestershire sauce, salt and hot pepper sauce. Serve over rice.