Hearty Ham and Cabbage Chowder
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Cook: 1 hour 35 min.
Makes8-10 servings (2-3/4 quarts)
- 1 cup thinly sliced celery
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 3 cups shredded cabbage
- 2 cups (1 pound) cubed fully cooked ham
- 1 can (28 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 can (15-1/4 ounces) whole kernel corn, drained
- 1 can (15 ounces) whole potatoes, drained and quartered
- 1 can (10-1/2 ounces) condensed chicken broth, undiluted
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- In a Dutch oven or large soup kettle, saute celery, onion and garlic in oil for 2 minutes, stirring constantly. Add remaining ingredients; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1-1/2 hours or until heated through.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 171 calories, 5g fat (1g saturated fat), 14mg cholesterol, 922mg sodium, 23g carbohydrate (11g sugars, 3g fiber), 8g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Nov 2, 2008
This Chowder was very good. I wasn't sure about the brown sugar, but with the ham, it was delish! I used red potatoes chunked up instead of canned potatoes and had to add about 6 cups of water. I'll definitely make this again.