Hearty German Potato Salad
Michelle Beran certainly has a tasty take on German potato salad. The reader from Claflin, Kansas adds sliced hot dogs to the bacon, cider vinegar and potatoes found in this classic.
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Bake: 20 min.
- 4 bacon strips, diced
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/4 cup cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon celery seed
- Dash pepper
- 2 medium potatoes (about 1-1/2 pounds), cooked, peeled, halved and sliced
- 5 cooked hot dogs, sliced
- In a large skillet, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp. Remove with a slotted spoon to paper towels. In the drippings, saute the onion until tender. Stir in flour until blended. Gradually stir in water, vinegar, sugar, salt, celery seed and pepper. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened.
- Stir in the potatoes, hot dogs and reserved bacon. Transfer to a greased 1-qt. baking dish. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 20-25 minutes or until heated through.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 471 calories, 30g fat (12g saturated fat), 47mg cholesterol, 1196mg sodium, 38g carbohydrate (8g sugars, 3g fiber), 12g protein.
Originally published as Hearty German Potato Salad in Quick Cooking May/June 2003
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.