Hearty Garlic Potato Soup
Total TimePrep: 10 min. Cook: 30 min.
Makes12 servings (about 3 quarts)
- 8 medium potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1 large carrot, peeled and chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled
- 1/2 pound bulk Italian sausage
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 8 cups milk
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh parsley
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon chicken bouillon granules
- 1/2 teaspoon seasoned salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Place potatoes, carrot and garlic in a Dutch oven and cover with water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15-20 minutes or until tender. Drain. Place 3 cups potato mixture in a large bowl and mash. Set aside mashed potatoes and remaining potato mixture.
- In a large skillet, cook sausage and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain and set aside. In a Dutch oven, melt butter. Stir in flour until smooth; gradually add the milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until soup is thickened.
- Add the parsley, salt, bouillon, seasoned salt and pepper; mix well. Add mashed potato mixture; cook and stir until heated through. Add reserved potato and sausage mixtures. Heat through.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 297 calories, 15g fat (8g saturated fat), 47mg cholesterol, 690mg sodium, 30g carbohydrate (10g sugars, 2g fiber), 10g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Aug 2, 2015
Very tasty! A little time consuming, so I won't make this unless it is for a crowd. I will also add more garlic to it.
Dec 8, 2013
Great potato soup! I make this every year and my husband loves it.
Jan 20, 2011
wonderful soup. I add more garlic and more potatoes