Hearty Fruit Compote
This compote is packed with so many kinds of fruits it's almost a meal in itself!
Total TimePrep: 20 min. + standing
- 1 cup apple juice
- 1 cinnamon sticks (2 inches)
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped pitted dried plums
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped dried apricots
- 1 tablespoon grated orange zest
- 1 medium orange, peeled, sectioned and chopped
- 1 medium grapefruit, peeled, sectioned and chopped
- 1 medium Granny Smith apple, peeled and chopped
- 1 firm banana, sliced
- 1/3 cup orange juice
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons chopped walnuts
- In a saucepan, cook and stir apple juice and cinnamon stick until mixture boils. Remove from the heat; add plums and apricots. Cover and let stand for 6 hours or overnight or until fruit is soft. Remove cinnamon stick. Add orange zest, orange, grapefruit, apple, banana, orange juice and brown sugar; mix well. Pour into serving bowl. Top with walnuts.
Originally published as Hearty Fruit Compote in Cookin' Up Country Breakfasts Cookbook
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.