"When I need to get dinner on the table fast for my husband and three children, I fix these filling fajitas," relates Elaine Keith of Mineral Wells, West Virginia. "With beef, chicken and shrimp, they satisfy everyone's tastes. They're wonderful with Spanish rice," she adds.
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1/2 pound boneless beef top round steak, cut into strips
- 1/4 pound boneless skinless chicken breast, cut into strips
- 2 to 3 tablespoons canola oil
- 1/2 pound uncooked medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1 medium green pepper, thinly sliced
- 1 medium sweet red pepper, thinly sliced
- 2 small onions, thinly sliced
- 2 to 3 medium tomatoes, cut into wedges
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 can (16 ounces) refried beans
- 1/2 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 14 flour tortillas (8 inches), warmed
- In a large skillet, stir-fry steak and chicken in oil. Add the shrimp, peppers, onions, tomatoes, chili powder and salt; cook until meat juices run clear and vegetables are crisp-tender.
- Meanwhile, in a large saucepan, cook refried beans and cheese until cheese is melted. Spoon over tortillas; top with meat mixture.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 409 calories, 10g fat (2g saturated fat), 82mg cholesterol, 788mg sodium, 49g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 7g fiber), 31g protein.
Originally published as Hearty Fajitas in Quick Cooking May/June 2002