Hearty Chili with a Twist
This thick chili is perfect for tailgate parties or on a cold winter evening. I like to serve it in bowls filled with rice, then top with crushed saltine crackers and shredded cheddar cheese.—Louise Jacino, East Moriches, New York
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Cook: 6 hours
Makes12 servings (3 quarts)
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 pound Johnsonville® Ground Mild Italian sausage
- 2 large onions, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cans (16 ounces each) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) Italian diced tomatoes, undrained
- 2 cans (10-3/4 ounces each) condensed tomato soup, undiluted
- 2 cans (6 ounces each) Italian tomato paste
- 1 can (8-1/2 ounces) peas, drained
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- In a large skillet, cook the beef, sausage and onions over medium heat until the meat is no longer pink. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Drain.
- Transfer to a 5-qt. slow cooker. Stir in the beans, tomatoes, soup, tomato paste, peas, chili powder, cumin, oregano, pepper sauce, salt and pepper. Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours or until heated through.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 318 calories, 10g fat (3g saturated fat), 38mg cholesterol, 1353mg sodium, 36g carbohydrate (13g sugars, 7g fiber), 19g protein.
Originally published as Chili Best in Taste of Home Everyday Slow Cooker & One Dish Recipes 2010
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.