Hearty Chicken Vegetable Soup
I've made this soup many times for my husband and four sons. Even though they're married and have homes of their own, my sons still like to come to our house to eat. This recipe is always a hit with them.
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Cook: 40 min.
- 3 large green peppers, chopped
- 3 large onions, chopped
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 3 cans (two 28 ounces, one 14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 4 cups fresh or frozen corn
- 3 cups cubed cooked chicken
- 3 large potatoes, diced
- 1 can (16 ounces) butter beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 1 cup frozen chopped okra
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 3 jalapeno peppers, chopped
- 1/4 cup white vinegar
- 3 to 4 tablespoons salt
- In a stock pot, saute green peppers and onions in oil until tender. Add the remaining ingredients. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 40 minutes or until potatoes are tender, stirring occasionally.
Editor's NoteWear disposable gloves when cutting hot peppers; the oils can burn skin. Avoid touching your face.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 199 calories, 3g fat (1g saturated fat), 19mg cholesterol, 1360mg sodium, 33g carbohydrate (13g sugars, 5g fiber), 11g protein.
Jan 23, 2011
Very nice and tasty recipe. I made some revisions by adding herbs. I also re-ordered the sequence for adding vegetables. But, its still a very nice basic recipe!
Feb 7, 2010
best chicken soup