Hearty Chicken Vegetable Soup
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Cook: 40 min.
- 3 large green peppers, chopped
- 3 large onions, chopped
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 3 cans (two 28 ounces, one 14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 4 cups fresh or frozen corn
- 3 cups cubed cooked chicken
- 3 large potatoes, diced
- 1 can (16 ounces) butter beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 1 cup frozen chopped okra
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 3 jalapeno peppers, chopped
- 1/4 cup white vinegar
- 3 to 4 tablespoons salt
- In a stock pot, saute green peppers and onions in oil until tender. Add the remaining ingredients. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 40 minutes or until potatoes are tender, stirring occasionally.
Editor's NoteWear disposable gloves when cutting hot peppers; the oils can burn skin. Avoid touching your face.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 199 calories, 3g fat (1g saturated fat), 19mg cholesterol, 1360mg sodium, 33g carbohydrate (13g sugars, 5g fiber), 11g protein.
Jan 23, 2011
Very nice and tasty recipe. I made some revisions by adding herbs. I also re-ordered the sequence for adding vegetables. But, its still a very nice basic recipe!
Feb 7, 2010
best chicken soup
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.