I love reinventing classic recipes to fit our taste and healthy living lifestyle. The recipe is quick to prepare and can be served with oven fries or on its own. You can add Greek olives, omit the onion, or even use cubed pork tenderloin for a new taste. —Kayla Douthitt, Elizabethtown, Kentucky
Featured In: 38 Greek-Style Dinners
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1-1/2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1/2 cup salt-free lemon-pepper marinade
- 3 tablespoons minced fresh mint
- 1/2 cup fat-free plain Greek yogurt
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon dill weed
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 medium cucumber, seeded and chopped
- 1 medium tomato, chopped
- 1/4 cup finely chopped onion
- 6 whole wheat pita pocket halves, warmed
- 1/3 cup crumbled feta cheese
- Place chicken, marinade and mint in a large resealable plastic bag; seal bag and turn to coat. Refrigerate up to 6 hours.
- Drain chicken, discarding marinade. Place a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add chicken; cook and stir 4-6 minutes or until no longer pink.
- In a small bowl, mix sauce ingredients. In another bowl, combine cucumber, tomato and onion. Serve chicken in pita pockets with vegetable mixture, sauce and cheese. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Hearty Chicken Gyros in Light Recipes 2015, p60