Hearty Chicken Cacciatore
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Cook: 15 min.
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 broiler/fryer chicken (3 to 4 pounds) , cut up
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1 medium green pepper, cut into strips
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 3/4 cup water
- 1 can (6 ounces) tomato paste
- 1 jar (6 ounces) sliced mushrooms, drained
- Hot pepper sauce to taste
- In a bowl or dish, combine the flour, salt, paprika and pepper. Add the chicken, a few pieces at a time, and toss to coat.
- Select saute setting on a 6-qt. electric pressure cooker. Adjust for medium heat; add oil. When oil is hot, brown the chicken
- in batches. Return all chicken to cooker; add green pepper, onion, garlic, tomatoes and water. Press cancel.
- Lock lid; close pressure-release valve. Pressure-cook on high for 12 minutes. Let pressure release naturally. (A thermometer inserted in chicken should read at least 165°.)
- Using a slotted spoon, remove chicken to a platter. If desired, skim fat from cooking juices. Add tomato paste and mushrooms to the pan juices. Select saute and adjust for low heat; cook and stir until heated through. Stir in hot pepper sauce and chicken.In a bowl or dish, combine the flour, salt, paprika and pepper. Add the chicken, a few pieces at a time, and toss to coat.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 410 calories, 24g fat (5g saturated fat), 88mg cholesterol, 699mg sodium, 18g carbohydrate (9g sugars, 5g fiber), 31g protein.
Feb 15, 2018
this sounds good but wondering one thing can you use a shillet if you dont have a pressure cooker?
Feb 22, 2016
This was really good. I served it over brown rice. I used my crock pot instead of the pressure cooker. I seared the chicken using PAM and omitted the flour. Then dumped everything in the slow cooker Chicken on the bottom). So tasty! Will make many more times.
Jan 7, 2016
Omg. This was so easy and tasty. I used an electric pressure cooker. When it said to use medium heat to add tomatoes paste to pan juices I put it into a sauce pan on high and heated iton high. Next time II will use boneless chicken
Dec 29, 2015
This recipe is definitely a "must try", as my mom use to make this for us years ago. Sadly, I never asked her for the recipe. Thanks for sharing.
Mar 18, 2015
Going to try this, I think it looks good.
Jan 14, 2014
I use my pressure cookers on a regular basis . I'll try this recipe because it sounds really good . I will have to double it thou because of large family .